Did you make New Year’s Resolutions this year? In all likelihood, if you made those resolutions, many of them are a lot harder than you anticipated and they may have even gone by the wayside by now. It can be disappointing to have such good intentions and then not follow through.
I’ve made a lot of lists of habits to adopt to improve lives, and at the same time I deliver the lists, I say to choose one habit at a time. Lifestyle change on a large scale can be exhilarating and overwhelming at the same time.
The easiest way to make changes is to take daily action steps. Journal every day and ask yourself, what can I do to move closer to my goals.
So today let’s to talk about baby steps. Little habits that are less of an adjustment for you. Sometimes easy is better than big.
I have a list of about 20 daily habits that are life changers. You won’t be hit with that. Our baby steps will be a baby list too!
- Drink more water. Pour a nice clean cup or glass of water right when you wake up. Do it before your morning coffee or tea.
- Make your bed and pick up your room. This is a very easy thing to do that will make you happier and improve your sleep as an established step in a sleep routine.
- Create your own rule that there is no television or technology in the bedroom. Come on you can find something else to do. Sex or sleep only.
- Add some green to your day. It can be a salad, warm vegetables, juice, or a smoothie. Just one is a great addition to your nutrition.
- Move more. Stand while you work, take the steps, park a little further from the door, and if you can, move outside for a few minutes every day.
- Read. Warren Buffet reads 80% of his day. Just add 20 more minutes of reading to your day. It’s amazing what ideas and knowledge can come from a few minutes with a good book.
- Pick up your house and declutter. It is freeing to eliminate unneeded “stuff”. Clean is beautiful.
- Spend time with your friends. That’s easy, isn’t it? Having friends is neck and neck with exercise for aging well and longevity.
- Get out and do something to help you grow. Take a computer, cooking, photography, or fitness class. Learn yoga, meditation, flying. If you do this, you’ll wish you started doing it sooner.
ANNUALLY OR SEMI-ANNUALLY
- Take a vacation to see your loved ones.
- Take a vacation to discover new geography and culture.
That’s enough. …Well, one more. Write it all down. Either first thing in the morning or last thing at night, have a little journal next to your bed and write down notes about your day. What did you do right today? What can you do better tomorrow (today)? What are you grateful for? What is one thing you can do that will bring you closer to your dreams. THAT’s IT!
If it’s too much, focus on one thing at a time. Get it right, and THEN move on to the next.
RESOURCES, FURTHER READING, AND ATTRIBUTIONS
We won't spam!